Thursday, June 14, 2007

Life is like a bag of popcorn...

I have an 8-page paper due tomorrow for Sociology that I am desperately avoiding. Finals week has taken a toll on my health. And my face. I have Final's Face; in other words my skin has gone seven kinds of crazy. My sleeping schedule is disastrous. I should really win a prize for Most Consecutive Hours Spent at the Library. It has reached the point that now I bring my pillow, blanket, and toothbrush. I should start an anti-finals campaign, based on the number of cigarettes that litter the ground in front of the library. Finals: NOT anyone's anti-drug.

I just finished my MUS15 (Japanese Pop) final, and let me tell you this: things are not looking good. I'm not by any means proud of this, but I won't lie, my multiple choice answers are a combination of no less than four different people sitting around me, none of whom I have very much confidence in either. In previous quarters when I studied for finals, in the end there's that sudden moment - where the big picture, the whole enchilada, what have you - finally hits, and you experience this great wave of understanding, in which all the pieces fall into place, and the little bits of information suddenly all make sense together. This quarter I had no such thing. I'm still very much in the dark about what my courses were about.

No meal points and no cash meant no dinner, so I ate half a bar of chocolate and made myself a bag of popcorn. Those stories about starving/broke college kids are entirely true. Now that I'm done munching there are over a hundred unpopped kernels. I always come up with these silly analogies that seem really brilliant in my mind. I got to thinking, when you make popcorn - yeah, if you pop it into the microwave for too long, chances are you'll end up with some black popcorn. But the alternative is to undercook it - resulting in handfuls of leftover kernels. Kernels that had so much potential... but nope, they go entirely to waste.

So yeah, maybe you take that risk, and you microwave your popcorn just a little longer. It might be a mistake... you might end up burning your popcorn. It might not taste as good as it could have. But at least you don't end up with these kernels of unfulfilled chances.

Though I really shouldn't be talking, seeing as I tend to avoid risk at all costs. Unless it involves my GPA - somehow I'm willing to throw that to the wind and see how things go. I realize this tells a lot about my lack of common sense. But in all other aspects of life, I analyze the potential for disaster and in my imagination, there are always grand Star Wars scenes of destruction and annihilation.

No comments: