Sunday, June 17, 2007

Exhaustion & purple haze.

I started packing Friday afternoon, thinking that hey, I'm a minimalist. I don't have that much stuff. How very wrong I was... the whole packing process was completely exhausting and took forever. My flight was at 4:00 on Saturday - by 4:45 we were still putting things into storage. We were supposed to take one more trip to get my stuff, but the storage place closed before we got a chance. So not only did I miss my flight, I couldn't even get on another one last night because I still had a fan, microwave, tv, drawers, and two cardboard boxes to go.

Move-out was supposed to be completely done by 6; ResLife started locking the suites/dorms shut. So I was a homeless girl with boxes of stuff in front of the building. I ended up moving it all to Rishi's, and from there we put everything at Gavin's. We were supposed to drink, but I fell asleep in the most awesome oversized couch at Gavin's while the boys watched Ghostrider and participated in questionable activities. We missed our flight again today at 1:05 because Johnson and Rishi were lagging... so they decided we should smoke with the extra hour of free time. Which ended up with us being delayed once MORE, and missing the 2:40 flight as well. Honestly, three missed flights. I felt like I was passing in and out of consciousness on the ride/at the airport/on the plane.

Moving out was bittersweet, especially being the last one in the empty suite. Europe Hall was more than anything I thought it would be. I'll miss living only a floor away from my closest friends. Even though we never made that magical sisterhood that some suites find, I grew to appreciate my suitemates. Even the ones who gave me disapproving looks when we ordered pizza three times a week, as I bounced drunkenly down the hall on Wednesday nights, etc. I really honestly did believe that Europe was full of the most amazing people... We had our stoners (Chang, Mike, Will), flamboyant gays (Brooks and Andrew), crazies like Joeva, Bri, and Lisi, talk show host Brandon, Varun the big-haired, my Kappa pledge sisters... Definitely the most unique of characters. I feel like freshman year is a condensed form of life experiences - you learn independence, gain new friendships, keep in touch with the old, develop your tolerance, discover things about yourself you never knew. As I've said before it's funny how all of us being put into this one building together put the wheels in motion for so much more. A whole year's worth of laughter, tears, and memories.

When I arrived, Europe Hall was just this huge and impersonal place, full of a hundred or so strangers. But at some unnoticed point in time - I started to call it "home." Somehow the personalities and habits of the people I lived with just started to grow on me. don't know if I could do my freshman year justice, so I won't try.

I can't believe I'm off to the motherland in a little more than a week. Excited but a bit apprehensive... my Chinese more or less incomprehensible these days. Between now and then I have errands, errands, errands. DMV, eyebrows, haircut, golf tournament money, schedule... so busy! This summer I'm missing out on the luxury of utterly unproductive, sticky days of sleeping in until noon, catching up with friends all afternoon over iced coffee, or vegging on the couch watching ANTM reruns.

No comments: